© Copyright 2009 - 2011 playingfortheshirt.net All rights reserved.
Against Linfield a week later Glentoran kicked off at Windsor Park in a kit borrowed from their new landlords Distillery. Again it was the first time Glentoran had played in white. The East Belfast side went on to win the game 3-1 with a brace of goals from the magnificent Dave ''Boy” Martin. Despite the upheaval of the demolition of the stadium and the decimation of the club itself, Glentoran would go on to finish third in the restructured Regional League and retain the County Antrim Shield. The horrors of war however had focused supporters' minds on things other than football, although the first seeds of resurrection had been planted, and those same supporters vowed to bring their beloved club back home to the East (however long it would take).
By the beginning of the 1942 season the Glens were now domiciled at Grosvenor Park, whilst the board of directors wrestled with the mechanics of getting the club back on an even keel. At least Glentoran were able to restore some sort of normality on the field with the provision of another set of plain green shirts again bearing the Glentoran coat of arms. Glentoran would lift the Substitute Gold Cup in November 1941 with players receiving neither trophy nor medals due entirely to the war effort. The Regional League and Irish Cup continued to be played for and in May 1942 the inaugural Inter City Cup was announced with six Northern teams being drawn against six from the South, the six tie winners would then be joined by the “best loser” from each country in an open quarter final draw. In the third year of the competition (1944), Glentoran would win the competition defeating St Jame's Gate, Shelbourne, Distillery and Belfast Celtic along the way and would pose for the resultant victory photographs in this shirt.