© Copyright 2009 - 2011 playingfortheshirt.net All rights reserved.
Herbert Dixon was a Northern Ireland politician. He was born in Belfast in 1880, the fourth son of Daniel Dixon and was educated at Harrow and Sandhurst before being commissioned into the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, the regiment he served with during the Second Boer War. After fighting in the First World War, Dixon was elected as Unionist MP for Belfast Pottinger in 1918 becoming the representative for Belfast East four years later and was finally selected as the member for Belfast Bloomfield in 1929. Dixon received an OBE before being created Baron Glentoran of Ballyoly County Down in 1939. To celebrate Dixon receiving the title Baron Glentoran, Glentoran Football Club commenced the 1939/40 campaign in shirts carrying Baron Glentoran's coat of arms. The first game in which Glentoran wore this shirt was against Coleraine on the 19th August 1939. With the club suffering financial hardship the Glens would retain these jerseys for another two seasons only for them all to be destroyed on the night of the fire blitz on Belfast, on the 4th / 5th May 1941
With the Oval in ruins Glentoran were offered the assistance of several Irish League clubs both in terms of where they could play their matches and in the provision of playing strip. Once the decision was made to indeed carry on as a football club, Glentoran took up residence at Grosvenor Park the home of Distillery FC. Glentoran borrowed playing kit from both the Whites (Distillery) and the Hatchetmen (Crusaders). On the 10th May 1941 less than a week after the Belfast Blitz, The Glens took to the field in the red and black stripes of Crusaders in a Regional League game against Distillery. The first time Glentoran had ever worn stripes. It proved a lucky charm with the East Belfast nomads emerging eventually as 3-2 winners.