This jersey made its Mersey Street debut in around the same time as Glentoran's new player manager Ken Chisholm. In essence it was a repeat of the 1954 top, this time without the badge. The Scot Chisholm had played for seven Scottish and English clubs before arriving in Belfast. Ambrose Fogarty had caught the eye of Sunderland and signed from Glentoran for the First Division side for £3,500. The new image did little for Glentoran's fortunes on the field however with The Mercer Cup (the trophy presented to the winners of the Belfast Floodlit League) the only silverware on show in the boardroom. The name Walter Bruce was beginning to create quite a bit of excitement on the terraces. Although this shirt was worn sparingly it was nevertheless striking worn with white shorts combined with green and red socks. The Glens opened the 1961/62 season in this strip with a friendly against Burnley. As far as we can tell a red version (away kit?) of this shirt was also used around this time.
It came out of nowhere. In a two season period at the end of the Fifties Glentoran revisited the very first shirt design with a plain green shirt and a red collar. The beginning of a new decade would herald technological advances in textile manufacturer. Crew necks would replace V necks and shorts would begin to get really short. Before that happened though Glentoran went retro. The barren spell continued on the pitch although in January 1960, the board of directors showed the foresight to purchase the Oval for £4,250 from the Dixon family. Alex Elder signed for Burnley from Glentoran in 1959. The Glens also signed their biggest name ever when Winston Stanley Churchill, a left winger on a tour of National Service duty and stationed in Lisburn signed for the Club. Sadly he wasn't up to the high standards set by his famous namesake. Glentoran were still using this choice of shirt occasionally as late on as 1963.